Friday, June 17, 2011

24 hours later...

I'm in cape town!  My parents and I left my house at 2:30 in the morning tuesday night (wednesday morning?) to head to the Detroit airport. We said our goodbyes, and I began my journey to South Africa. I flew Detroit to New York, switched airport in NYC (I was pretty proud of that accomplishment), flew 15 hours from New York to Johannesburg, and finally from Jo-burg to Cape Town.  Somehow, both my luggage and I managed to arrive in one piece Thursday afternoon exhausted, but successful.  Craig, the director of the Warehouse, met me at the airport with a sign his kids had made for me.  It's incredible how welcome one hand-colored construction paper sign can make you feel.

Craig drove me back to the Warehouse for a moment, and then two blocks further, to my host family's home.  My host mom, Joan, welcomed me in, introduced me to my host brother, and showed me my room.  I suddenly had not only a sign, but a whole family and place to call home, at least for the next six months!  I got unpacked, and fell asleep for a much needed nap, only after my host mom made me some delicious soup.  I got up the next morning and came here, to the Warehouse, where I'm now sitting, slightly stunned that I get the opportunity to work at such an incredible place for my HNGR internship.  I've only just arrived, but I've already felt so welcomed in.  Just the thought of it fills my heart with joy.  I can't wait to share how God works in this community, and in me.  TTFN!

Peace,
Meredith

2 comments:

  1. Mer, well done just getting there! YAY! I'm so happy that your first moments in SA have been Hope-giving. I will be praying! (and Maggie too--she saw an airplane in the sky and said "ayplane. mocha." =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to read your first post about your arrival! Glad to hear your trip went well and you had a nice welcoming!
    I hope you are well and everything is going good. Please keep up updated! Would love to hear about your days!
    Much love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete