Wednesday, August 17, 2011

just now....

which is not the same as now, or even now now.  And here is South Africa, none of them mean NOW the way people in the States would mean now.  Now here and now in the States, I've realized, are two entirely different things.

In the US, now is exactly this instant, without delay.  Time is of the essence; once you say now, you're on the move.

In South Africa, now is sometime in the vaguely near future.  Now now is very soon-ish, now is probably coming, and just now is eventually, at some point, maybe.

The moment in time of Now in the States is focused, narrow, and singular.

In South Africa, Now represents something broader, less rigidly defined and more fluid and free.

At first, the difference drove me mad.  I felt there was a lessened importance of Now.  But I'm beginning to realize that it's not less, but more.  Slowly but surely, it's changing how I see Now, and how I live in Now (Now now, now, and just now).

So all those thoughts to say, I've been living in the now.  But that makes writing posts a little difficult.  However, expect a more coherent, eloquent, and comprehensive blog post just now...

No comments:

Post a Comment